NCDA Announces New Organizational Membership
By Deneen Pennington, Executive Director
October 1, 2018 marks the beginning of NCDA’s new fiscal year. The Board of Trustees will gather in Portland, Oregon for the Career Practitioner Institute on Oct 26th. New Board members/roles include Seth Hayden, President Elect-Elect, Patrick Akos, Trustee for Counselor Educators, and Carolyn Jones, State Trustee. The Board will be moving forward on a number of initiatives, some of which are outlined here.
New Organizational Membership
NCDA will start an Organizational Membership option for those entities seeking consolidated billing for three or more members from their organization. The cost of membership for organizational members will be tiered according to the number of members joining from each entity. All organizational members will receive full membership benefits (listed below) in addition to special benefits (such as an Organization listing under Membership). Organizational membership is slated to start by year’s end.
New Title and Role for Advisory Council
NCDA’s Board has voted to expand and retitle the formerly known Facilitating Career Development (FCD) Advisory Council to the new NCDA Training and Education Council (TEC). The TEC will oversee and develop policies for NCDA Training Programs including FCD, Career Practitioner Supervision (CPS) Training, and the new School Career Development Advisor (SCDA) Training in collaboration with the management team at Headquarters.
Membership Dues Increase Announced
NCDA is increasing its membership dues due the increase in operating expenses for many of the member services and benefits it provides. The dues will increase to $95 for professional and regular members, $40 for students and new professionals, and $60 for retired members. NCDA members will enjoy enhanced services including credentialing options, additional training opportunities, and enhanced programming during many NCDA sponsored events. The opportunities for continuing education will also be expanded this year.
Numerous benefits to NCDA membership are listed below. Review the Categories and the Join/Renew Form when you are interested in becoming a member. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Career Development Quarterly, NCDA's journal is the premier career counseling journal, presenting the latest information in career development research and career counseling practice. CDQ is provided electronically to members.
- Career Developments, the NCDA magazine, is a themed publication offering articles that balance a broad vision with practical applications. Published four times per year, each issue offers a focused article on a select theme, a feature article on a prominent NCDA event, specific content for five departments, and four regular columns. Only members receive this print magazine in the mail each quarter.
- Career Convergence, NCDA's web magazine offers new articles each month for career development practitioners working in a variety of work settings. This is emailed to members on the first day of each month. Members are invited to submit articles and can receive CEUs when published.
- The Career Resource Store offers career development publications that are available to members at discounted prices. NCDA carries publications appropriate for use with adults, K-12, post-secondary, and several other specialized areas.
- Global Career Development Conference. This annual event provides exciting keynoters, over 150 CE-approved program sessions, and opportunities for networking with about 1000 career professionals. Members receive discounts on registration fees and access to select session video-recordings.
- Professional Development Institutes provide opportunities for continuing education at the annual conference and occasionally at state and regional locations (such as the Career Practitioner Institutes). Members receive discounts on registration. Other Professional Development opportunities are listed on the website, including the exclusive Leadership Academy and online Job listings for members only.
- Professional Credentials offered by NCDA are built upon rigorous quality standards, scope of practice and ethical guidelines. NCDA credentials show validity of your competency in the field. If you are a member and credential holder, you are eligible for an exclusive web listing on the NCDA website to let others know that you provide help to those with career needs.
- Liability Insurance is available to NCDA members whose practice is limited to career services through the ACA Insurance HPSO. Call 800-347-6647 for more information.
- Networking Opportunities are endless with thousands of career development professionals who are members of state divisions and NCDA. Members can access a Directory under Members Only Resources (after logging in). Members may also use the Questions and Comments form (under Members Only Resources) to discuss career-related issues of interest.
- Professional Recognition can be achieved by holding an NCDA Credential, contributing to a publication, presenting at a conference, or serving on a committee. Members are also eligible for annual NCDA Awards.
- Sample Forms is an online repository of documents for members to review and reference when developing professional forms for use in all career development settings.
- Multicultural Career Resource List. The Committee on Diversity Initiatives and Cultural Inclusion developed a comprehensive list of diversity career resources for members. This is a consolidated a list of over 150 resources, organized by population, including resources for ethnic minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, LGBT, as well as general multicultural career topics and workplace diversity. It is available to members upon Login, under Members Only Resources.
- Bibliography of Military Career Transition Research, 2000-present. The Veterans Committee created this pdf. The Table of Contents includes a wide variety of demographics: female, LGB, ex-offenders, and more. Theory Applications, employment, and students are some of the topics covered. It is available to members upon Login, under Members Only Resources.
- Resources for Partnering With International Students. Developed by the NCDA International Student Taskforce, this pdf includes resources for career counseling and career services professionals to support career development of International students, specifically focused on students within the college/university setting. Resources explore multicultural counseling competencies, programming and career services development, assessment implications, and employment search. Also included is a list of self-guided websites and books to provide directly to the International student. It is available to members upon Login, under Members Only Resources.
- NCDA has been approved as a member organization of the Automation Federation. The Automation Foundation and NCDA are working together to convey the message to students, job seekers, returning Veterans, and those in career transition that pursuing a career in the automation profession can be rewarding, and is essential to the long-term viability of our nation's and the world's advanced manufacturing effort. Click here to read the current AF/NCDA Workforce Position Statement.
- NCDA has joined the Global Pathways Institute, along with many national organizations, to form the National Coalition for Career Development. This opens numerous opportunities for members - see "NCDA's New Training Program and Participation in the National Coalition for Career Development."
- International Association for Educational and Vocational Guidance (IAEVG) shares the news with member organizations (including NCDA) regarding upcoming conferences and new journals. (See About NCDA: Global Connections.)
- NCDA members may receive discounts on conference rates from such events as Cannexus as well as webinars in partnership with CERIC.
- Watch your email or the website for additional partnership benefits.
The NCDA Board of Trustees aims to have discussions about even more opportunities in the coming years. All Board Meeting Minutes are posted on the website at www.ncda.org under About NCDA: Board. Board Members and Headquarters Management Staff value your support of NCDA.
Deneen Pennington is the Executive Director of NCDA. She can be reached at email@example.com